Breakfast burritos are a delicious and hearty way to start your day. These protein packed vegan burritos are filled with tofu scramble, hash browns, peppers and onions, avocado, salsa, and cilantro. All of the flavors come together to create a wonderful combination of taste with a Mexican flare. Wrap it all up in a tortilla and you have a breakfast for champions that will fuel you until lunch.
This recipe also works great for meal prepping. You can prepare large amounts of the fillings (tofu scramble, hashbrowns, peppers and onions) in advance to use throughout the week. That way on rushed weekday mornings you can just heat them up and fill a tortilla and you will be out the door in no time. I haven’t tried freezing these burritos yet but I think if you leave out the avocado, they would freeze great! Let me know in the comment section if you try it.
These burritos are a great vegan breakfast because the tofu scramble is high in protein so it will keep you full until lunch. The avocado provides you with the healthy fats your body needs while the peppers bright colors tell you they are packed with antioxidants. These burritos are warm, filling, hearty, healthy, and best of all vegan. Now let’s get to it!
- 14 oz package extra firm tofu, drained
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 med onion, sliced
- 1 med bell pepper (I did half red, half green), sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 med avocado, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 4 large flour tortillas
- In a skillet over medium heat add oil. Once shimmering and hot add your cubed potato. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until potatoes are golden and crispy. If you wish to make this recipe oil-free, bake them in the oven instead.
- While potatoes cook, crumble the tofu into another skillet over medium heat. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. In a small bowl stir together water, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, sea salt, and turmeric. Pour the mixture over the tofu crumbles and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Once potatoes are cooked, sprinkle with salt, remove from pan, and set aside. Add bell pepper and onion slices to the same pan, cook 3-5 minutes until slightly tender and browning on the edges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble burritos by filling them with peppers and onions, tofu scramble, hash brown potatoes, avocado slices, cilantro, and salsa. Wrap them up and enjoy!
Thanks for reading! Sign up below to have a new mouth-watering vegan recipe sent to your inbox each week. Leave me a comment below if you liked this recipe and don’t forget to share with your friends and family on social media. Thank you!