You are going to love this salad! It has big flavor, lots of healthy ingredients, and it’s substantial enough to keep you satisfied and full. It’s also super healthy and makes a great packed lunch to bring to work or school. Did I mention it’s DELICIOUS? You have lettuce, butternut squash, quinoa, roasted red peppers, cashews, and goji berries that all come together into one incredible plant powered combination. Then you drizzle it with a quick homemade ginger tamari dressing. Yum!
I pack lunches for Bryce and I to bring to work almost everyday so I know that it is all too easy to fall in to a routine and only pack 3 different lunches over and over again. It is hard to find recipes that are healthy and taste good served cold. It’s especially hard to find salads that are substantial enough to keep you full all afternoon. That’s where this recipe comes in. Butternut squash quinoa salad is perfect for packing and bringing to work. It tastes great fresh but it’s just as good after being refrigerated for a day or two. The variety of flavors and textures are a welcome change in the typical packed lunch round up.
Let’s talk about all the super healthy ingredients this salad has to offer. The quinoa is a complete protein and will keep you satisfied. The butternut squash has high amounts of potassium and vitamin B6. Goji berries are considered a superfood since they are so nutrient dense. All these bright colored veggies will leave you energized and ready to continue your day! You need this health boosting salad in your life. Let’s get started!
Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1/3 cup goji berries (or sub dried cranberries)
- salt and pepper
Ginger Tamari Dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp water
- In a medium sauce, pan bring 1 1/3 cup water and 2/3 cup dry quinoa to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat but keep covered for 5 more minutes to steam. Pour off any excess water.
- While quinoa cooks, add 1/3 cup water and butternut squash cubes to a medium sauce pan. Turn heat to high and cover. Once steam starts to form inside the pan turn heat to low and cook, covered for 10-12 minutes or until squash is soft. Pour off any excess water and season squash with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, stir together lettuce, quinoa, butternut squash, roasted red peppers, cashews, and goji berries.
- In a small bowl, stir together all dressing ingredients until fully combined. Add more water if dressing is too thick.
- To serve, dish the salad mixture into bowls. Top with dressing as desired. Enjoy!
Thanks for reading! Sign up below to have a new mouth-watering vegan recipe sent to your inbox each week. Leave me a comment below if you liked this recipe and don’t forget to share with your friends and family on social media. Thank you!