These kale chips are light and crispy. They taste like junk food but you’ll be getting your greens at the same time. I have been experimenting with oil-free kale chips for a while now and these are the very best. The key is the tahini which gets them super crispy in the oven. It gets even better because these are easy CHEESY kale chips. The cheese flavor comes from every vegan’s best friend – nutritional yeast. Oh yes, it’s so cheesy. I dare you to feed these to someone who says they don’t like kale. Seriously, you will make them a believer. Kale has a lot of protein in it so don’t be surprised when you eat a bowl of these and you aren’t hungry for dinner.
I chose to use lacinato kale (aka dino kale) because it cooks more evenly. Curly kale will work in a pinch, but you might end up with a few soggy spots and extra crispy edges. Make sure you thoroughly wash your kale. It’s alright to leave your kale wet after washing. That water will help spread the tahini evenly over your chips.
These kale chips are rich in nutrients. Kale is a powerhouse providing us with vitamins K, A, and C. Kale is also high in fiber, iron, calcium, and much more. Plus, it’s filled with antioxidants. The tahini provides us with thiamin, phosphorus, copper, and manganese. Nutritional yeast is full of vitamins and minerals, plus it’s a complete protein.
Cheesy Vegan Kale Chips
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tbsp light roast tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Wash kale and remove tough stem. Tear into chip-sized pieces.
- Add kale to a large bowl and drizzle with tahini. Work the tahini into the kale, using your hands, you want to soften the kale so don't be gentle.
- Lay the kale out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, and salt.
- Bake in preheated oven 10-13 minutes, checking often at the end to ensure they don't burn.