These wraps are so amazing! No thirty ingredient tortillas needed to make this delicious wholesome lunch. You can wrap just about anything in chard. I particularly love rainbow chard because it is so beautiful. You can find bunches of rainbow chard with colors that vary from bright magenta to yellow. Chard also has a very mild flavor compared to other greens. It is great for wraps because it isn’t overly bitter.
This wrap is filled with seasoned chickpeas. The first time I tried making it there was one major problem. As soon as you took a bite a few of the chickpeas would fall out. All you need to do is smash them a bit and it’s a lot easier to eat.
Chard wraps are a very nourishing meal. They are made completely from vegetables and chickpeas. With a few added seasonings and the tahini sauce, they are extremely flavorful. I also included how to make my favorite quick pickled red onion. The radish adds kick, the carrot adds crunch, and the pickled red onion adds acidity and complexity of flavor. You can use any vegetables you have on hand to top your wrap. Include whatever you like and be creative!
Chickpea Chard Wraps
- 2 large rainbow chard leaves
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- pickled red onion (see notes for directions)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (one large lemon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Add drained chickpeas, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a skillet over medium heat. Stir until chickpeas are coated with the seasonings. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Using a fork, gently smash the chickpeas until they are mostly broken up but a few whole beans remain.
- Mix together the tahini sauce ingredients. If the sauce seems too thick, add water 1 tsp at a time.
- Cut the stems off of the chard leaves. Use a vegetable peeler or small knife to trim down the tough stem on the back of each leaf.
- Assemble wraps. Start with the chard leaf. Place a generous amount of chickpeas in the center of the leaf, leaving 1-2 inches on each side to wrap. Next add the carrots, radish slices, tomato, and pickled red onion. Finish with a drizzle of tahini sauce. Fold the narrow top of the leaf down, then fold the sides in and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, share it with your family and friends on social media. Let me know in the comments section if you tried the recipe. Subscribe below to receive a new vegan recipe to your inbox each week. Thanks for reading!