Meatloaf is one of those great comfort foods that you always reminisce about. Many people have a family recipe that has been passed down. Since going vegan it’s time to make a new family recipe! You will love the taste and texture of this hearty vegan meatloaf. The lentil and walnut mixture make a meat-like texture and looking at it you can’t even tell it isn’t meat. With seasonings you can add so much flavor that you will never miss the your old meatloaf recipe ever again!
This recipe is super easy to make but it can be a bit time consuming. A lot of this is hands off time where you don’t need to be directly tending to it so you can get other stuff done and make your sides. This recipe is great for gatherings because it makes enough to feed 6. Plus it’s sure to impress friends and family, especially when they find out it’s vegan!
This meatloaf is guaranteed to be better for you then that old family recipe, which is probably loaded with cholesterol and fat. Vegan meatloaf is full of healthy wholesome ingredients that will nourish your body, help you lose weight, and don’t harm any animals. It is totally oil-free so you can enjoy it without guilt. You will feel great after eating this healthy classic! Let’s get started.
Homemade Vegan Meatloaf
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minsed
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce, (vegan)
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400°. Add lentils to a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 20 minutes, always ensuring that lentils are still covered with water.
- After 20 minutes, add celery and garlic, simmer 5 more minutes, then drain off excess water.
- Add walnuts to a food processor. Pulse until they are chopped, then add half of the lentil mixture and pulse several times to mash the lentils and mix them with the walnuts. Add it all back together with the rest of the lentils.
- Stir in the soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, thyme, sea salt, ground flax seed, and flour.
- Once everything is well mixed pour it on to a parchment lined baking sheet and form into a loaf shape. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the meatloaf bakes mix the ketchup and maple syrup together in a small bowl. After 20 minutes, take the meatloaf out and pour the ketchup mixture over it and spread it around until everything is evenly covered. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this tasty recipe as much as I do! If you tried this at home leave me a comment. If you would like a fresh vegan recipe sent to your inbox each week please subscribe below. Thanks for reading!