When I was growing up my mom used to make a stir fry with peaches, peanuts, and ham. It was one of my favorite meals and she taught me how to make it myself. Whenever I made dinner for the family this was the dish I made. I have always loved the way the flavors work so cohesively. When I went vegan I tried many ways to make a stir fry like this without the meat. The marinated smoked tofu perfectly completes the dish.
When you make this recipe try to press your tofu for as long as possible. When you press it for a longer amount of time the texture become less spongey and more meaty. Thoroughly pressed tofu will also absorb the marinade better and become more flavorful. If you plan ahead and press your tofu overnight in the fridge, you will have the best results.
This recipe can be made oil-free by using water instead of oil to saute the vegetables, peanuts, and tofu. Check out my article on How to Sauté Without Oil. I usually use canned peaches in this recipe but ripe fresh peaches work as well. If you plan on using canned peaches try to find some that are packed in fruit juice . The only ingredients should be peaches and fruit (usually pear) juice.
Peach, Peanut, and Smoked Tofu Stir Fry
- 1 12 oz package extra firm tofu, pressed overnight
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 1 15 oz can peaches* or one large peach
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
Orange Ginger Sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 tbsp corn strach
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Press tofu overnight: Open tofu package and pour out all of the water. Wrap the tofu in paper towels and place it in a shallow bowl. Set a flat heavy object that you keep in the fridge on top of it. I usually use a carton of orange juice. Leave in the fridge for at least a couple hours, preferably overnight.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2" cubes and place in a bowl or zipper bag with the soy sauce, liquid smoke, and agave nectar. Allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes, up to 2 hours.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat (add 1 tsp oil if desired). Add the peanuts and stir until they have been light browned. Remove the peanuts and set aside. Next add the marinated tofu and zucchini. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While tofu and zucchini cook, stir together all sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir the sauce again right before adding it to the stir fry to ensure your corn starch hasn't settled .
- Once zucchini are tender and tofu is golden add the peaches, peanuts, and sauce mixture and stir all together. Cook another 2-3 minutes allowing sauce to thicken. Serve over rice if desired. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, share it with your family and friends on social media. Let me know in the comments section if you tried the recipe. Subscribe below to receive a new vegan recipe to your inbox each week. Thanks for reading!