Reuben sandwiches have always been one of my favorite lunches. This tempeh reuben has all of the delicious flavor without any animal products. You will love the marinated tempeh that tastes like cured deli meat. This sandwich is then topped with sauerkraut and homemade vegan thousand island sauce. I love the taste of a reuben on rye, but you can use whatever bread you would like!
To cut your tempeh into slices, you can use a mandoline on one of the thicker settings. I hold my block of tempeh at a 45° angle when slicing it on the mandoline. You can also use a knife to cut slices that are about 1/8″ thick. Be very careful when handling the tempeh slices because they can fall apart easily, especially if they are very thin.
This sandwich is so cravable. It is perfect for new vegans who are missing some of their old favorite foods. You can feel great about eating this reuben because it is made with healthy plant-based ingredients. For lunch, this sandwich will energize you instead of leaving you lethargic in the middle of your day. Enjoy this nourishing and delicious recipe!
Tempeh Reuben Sandwich
- 1 8 oz package tempeh
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 4-6 slices rye bread (or bread of choice)
- 1/2 cup vegenaise
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup dill pickle, chopped
- 1 tsp water
- Cut your tempeh into slices, use a mandoline on the thick setting or use a knife to cut slices. Slice your tempeh at a 45° angle. Thin slices are ideal but if they are too thin they will fall apart.
- In a small bowl, or zipper bag mix the marinade. Add soy sauce through black pepper and stir. Then add the tempeh slices. Be sure that all of the tempeh is coated. Marinate in fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to 12 hours.
- Make the sauce. In a small bowl mix together vegenaise, ketchup, chopped dill pickle, and water.
- Grill tempeh slices over medium-low heat for 3 minutes on each side. Be very gentle when flipping. This works best on a grill with narrow grates. Toast your bread on the grill for 1 minute each side.
- To assemble sandwich pile one slice of bread with grilled tempeh. Top the other slice with a generous amount of sauerkraut and a drizzle of sauce. Enjoy right away!
If you enjoyed this recipe, share it with your family and friends on social media. Let me know in the comments section if you tried the recipe. Subscribe below to receive a new vegan recipe to your inbox each week. Thanks for reading!