These vegan breakfast sausages are going to blow your mind! They are so incredibly flavorful and the texture is perfect. They’re healthy and nourishing because they are made with brown rice, oatmeal, and ground flax. You could also call them fiber sausages because they are loaded with it. Since they are plant-based and oil-free, they don’t have any cholesterol or fat so you can eat as many as you would like and still feel great!
This recipe is also super quick and easy, especially when you already have cooked brown rice on hand. I like to make a big batch of rice on the weekend to use throughout the week. Just mix the ingredients all together, chill, form patties, and cook them. Easy peasy. My favorite thing about this recipe, has to be the soy sauce glaze you get by splashing soy sauce in the hot pan. This step adds a deep savory flavor and browns the outside, making it appear more sausage-like. The texture of these patties is firm, not mushy. It nicely mimics meat and has that dense, hearty feel.
These breakfast sausages are totally guilt-free. Eat yourself happy knowing that this delicious food is fueling your body all day. Give yourself the gift of feeling great from the food you are eating. You will still get all of the satisfaction of a high-fat, high-protein meal without feeling weighed down and bloated afterwards. Eating clean gives you energy and a clear mind to conquer your day.
Vegan Breakfast Sausage
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup old fashion oats (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tsp soy sauce or tamari (plus more to add to pan)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- maple syrup (for serving)
- Mix ground flax and 6 tbsp water together in a large bowl. Let stand for 3 minutes, until mixture has thickened slightly. Add all other ingredients and stir until fully combined. Cover and move to refrigerator. Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Take chilled mixture and start forming patties with approximately 2 tbsp of the mixture per patty. You will end up with 8 or 9 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Place the patties in the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn off the heat. Splash some soy sauce (or tamari) in the pan around each of the patties. Allow it to evaporate away, then flip the patties and repeat on that side.
- Serve warm patties with a bit of maple syrup if desired. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, share it with your family and friends on social media. Let me know in the comments section if you tried the recipe. Subscribe below to receive a new vegan recipe to your inbox each week. Thanks for reading!