Most of the time sticking to a whole food plant-based diet is easy. But then there are times when the takeout cravings hit you hard and nothing will satisfy your need for crispy flavorful egg rolls. Until now. This recipe will relieve your cravings and prove to the world just how tasty vegetables are. You never knew veggies could taste this good.
When making this recipe there are a couple of challenges but my step by step directions will make sure you nail it every time. The first barrier is figuring out how to wrap an egg roll. The photo below gives you an idea of the process. The second challenge is how to cook them without deep-frying. I don’t use oil in my cooking often but in this recipe you don’t need to use much at all to achieve that delicious crunchy exterior. Pan frying the egg rolls is more time intensive due to all the flipping, but you only need 1 tsp of oil for 8 rolls so the result is still low-fat.
This recipe has lots of healthy vegetables. The filling is made from cabbage, carrots, green onions, mushrooms, garlic and ginger. All of these plant-based ingredients supply your body with necessary nutrients and antioxidants. Even though these egg rolls taste like junk food they are still nourishing your body more than takeout ever could. You can also feel good because you made them from scratch and you know that they are free of MSG and animal products.
Vegan Egg Rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers (see recipe in notes)
- 1 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together mushrooms, green onion, cabbage, carrot, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce.
- Lay out your wrappers and add 1/3 cup of filling to each in a rectangular shape in the middle of the wrapper. Turn the wrapper so a corner is facing you. Fold that corner up over the filling and then fold in the sides. Dip your finger in water and saturate the top corner. Roll up towards the top corner. Set aside, seam down, while you wrap the rest.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tsp sesame oil over medium heat. Once it is hot, add your egg rolls and cook 2 minutes. Flip 1/4 of the way and cook 2 more minutes. Continue to flip until all 4 sides of each roll are golden brown.
- While egg rolls cook, stir together all dipping sauce ingredients until well mixed. Serve egg rolls with dipping sauce. Enjoy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, share it with your family and friends on social media. Let me know in the comments section if you tried the recipe. Subscribe below to receive a new vegan recipe to your inbox each week. Thanks for reading!