Is there anything better than a warm stew on a cold day? This recipe is perfect for an easy dinner with a unique delicious flavor. It comes together in under 30 minutes and uses only basic pantry ingredients that you already have on hand.
If you read the ingredient list, you may be a bit confused. Tomato paste and peanut butter? I’m not so sure about that. Cookie and Kate’s West African Peanut Soup was my first introduction to this odd combination. It was one of the first vegan recipes I ever tried and it is still one of my all time favorites. Once you taste this combo you will never doubt it. I get cravings for that tomato peanut sauce all winter long.
Another reason why I love this recipe is for the healthy ingredients. It’s a great way to sneak more of those leafy greens into your diet. Greens are one of the most important foods to be eating every single day. They are so packed with vitamins, calcium, protein, and more. The garlic and ginger in this recipe are always welcomed this time of year to help heal or ward off any colds that are going around. Plus the tomato paste, sweet potato, and kale are full of antioxidants. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let’s get started.
West African Peanut Stew
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 med sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- cilantro for garnish
- Steam the sweet potato: Add sweet potato cubes and 1/4 cup water to a small sauce pan cover and once you start to see steam forming, turn the heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Add tomato paste, peanut butter, and salt. Stir everything together until well mixed. Start adding the vegetable broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring everything to mix before adding more. Add in the kale, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir in sweet potato and peanuts, cook for 5 more minutes until sauce is thick. Serve over brown rice and garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Enjoy
Thanks for reading. Subscribe below to receive a new vegan recipe to your inbox each week. If you enjoyed this post, leave me a comment below. I love hearing feedback from my readers! Have a great week.